Forums Events Restaurants Articles Farms Caterers Subscribe! My Account

North Carolina BBQ Forums Q&A

Got Questions? We've got Answers!
Welcome to North Carolina BBQ Forums QA Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Why are there time gaps in the posts? - The forums were taken offline in ~2013 and were (finally) restored in 2023. Feel free to start a new thread or reply to an existing one.

smoking a whole pig

Last post 03-21-2010, 11:46 PM by corndog. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-20-2010, 1:45 PM 294

smoking a whole pig

i am looking for advice on how to smoke a whole pig for my wifes birthday party there will be around 80 people here and i need to know everything, like what size pig is best
  •  03-21-2010, 8:53 AM 295 in reply to 294

Re: smoking a whole pig

Hi Travis,

I would go with a 75-80lb pig. For cooking, corndog has some good advice here:
    http://www.ncbbqforums.com/forums/thread/281.aspx.

Also, I have an 'intro' for cooking pigs here:
    http://www.ncbbq.com/Modules/Articles/article.aspx?id=16

Hope this helps. And we're here to help with any questions you may have. Just let us and know and good luck!

•  03-21-2010, 11:46 PM 296 in reply to 294

Re: smoking a whole pig

Travis, first off, decide if you want head on or off...when you place your order, they will ask you this and you will be paying for the extra weight of the head, so I always get mine head off, and legs trimmed to the knee/elbow.  Also, around here, they come butterflied down the middle, spread wide open.  Just review the link that Donald posted about prep and have a great time doing it.  It might seem overwhelming at the time, but when it's all over, it'll be a blast you will want to do again and again...I just went to a pig pickin' last night and it was a blast.  And since the weather is getting better, I'm ready to fire my cooker back up for one...just cause I can....Good luck, post some pics and report back here w/ what you did...

if you need to talk to someone, just give me a call at 252-230-5310 and I'll help where I can.
View as RSS news feed in XML